Main menu

Pages

How Not to Worry Yourself Sick When Things Don’t Go as You Expected


My twins have started school and I have a bad feeling. We heard that the teacher is very cold towards the children. What about tolerance then?

My son is an immature, sensitive puppy who cannot sit up straight. She had already left the class alone in the playground for half an hour. The school is in a building he does not know. Is someone gonna call her to see a kitten in her car? How not to worry then?

In fact, I toyed with the idea of ​​transferring them to another school. But I don't know enough about the basic conditions there.

In these new places too, most of the children have already known each other since kindergarten. Will they accept mine from the start? Will I unnecessarily stress my children by changing schools? Am I exaggerating or wasting time with the wrong teacher? Or am I worrying too much?

Anxiety drains your energy and frustrates you. Although it's hard to resist, there are a lot of things I do when I enter a negative thought cycle. Here are my tips for not worrying that you can also try:

Get 15 minutes of anxiety time a day

Sometimes, when I can't stand my rushed thoughts anymore, I sit down in front of my laptop and write down what's bothering me. It doesn't have to be liberating, but it can be laxative. You feel lighter afterward.

If negative thoughts keep coming into your mind, set aside 15 minutes for a part of the day, like 6 p.m. to be treated regularly. When they happen outside of those hours, jot them down on your cell phone or notepad and tell yourself you'll think about them at six o'clock. At six o'clock in the evening. Come on, go back to what you wrote and think about it. Is all this serious? Has anything changed? Can you do something about the situation?

After 15 minutes, tell yourself you've worried enough and move on. The bad thoughts will keep coming but tell yourself that you will tackle them again tomorrow at the same time. Remember, these are just ideas, not facts.

Remember, this is your mind's automatic way of offering help, even if you're not really...

These days, when I start to cause disaster, I remind myself that not everything I think about is imminent or true. In this way, I reject the power of these thoughts.

Our brains are incredible tools that have carried us through evolution. Thanks to your grandfather's care, you are now alive. His anxiety and his ability to imagine the worst scenarios helped him survive and pass on the same genes to their grandchildren, including you. With anxiety, your mind tries to help you, but it's a stupid friend.

Although we don't encounter a fatal disease every day, our brains have not developed as rapidly as our living conditions. You are still looking for the legged tiger behind the tree, but you will not find it. The people in the other building won't kill you. Whatever the problem, you will survive even if your mind still works like your great-grandfather's grandfather.

We didn't know much about this school when we enrolled our children there. It is a renovated building in a good location and has a good GPA. But we knew nothing about the treatment and safety of children in the schoolyard. Now, these other important things are being questioned.

No wonder I'm worried. The situation is new and still unknown. My brain looks for the danger before seeing the benefits because the brain is always trying to find solutions to make reality more predictable. This is why you feel less anxious when you worry: you think you are solving your problem. But worrying and problem-solving aren't the same skill (more on problem-solving later).

Whenever you start thinking of one evil after another, remember: they are just imaginary products of your mind to steer you away from potential danger that may not even exist. These are not facts but rather the energy that you feel building within the contents of your mind. Ask yourself if your thinking is correct at all.

Comments